Kay Murray brings a practical approach to counseling writers, journalists, artists, publishers, and producers so they minimize risk and maximize the value of their work. Media companies and creators alike trust her advice through every step in the process of development, licensing, and distribution of their work.
Based in New York City, Kay’s practice focuses on libel and privacy, copyright and fair use, newsgathering, and licensing. She advises on all varieties of creative work, from books and articles to podcasts, documentaries, and docudramas.
With a passion for protecting the interests of storytellers, Kay negotiates contracts, offers fair use and defamation legal opinions to secure media liability insurance, and helps clients craft plans to manage the risks of each project before a deal is inked.
She also advises nonprofit organizations to help them protect their intellectual property and comply with grantmaking, governance, and lobbying regulations.
Kay’s nearly 30 years of in-house experience brings a valuable perspective to clients.
Prior to joining BHH, she served as Vice President, Law for First Look Institute, a publisher of investigative news, documentary films, and podcasts. She has provided pro bono counsel to numerous local nonprofit news publishers and served as Assistant General Counsel at Tribune Publishing, advising editors and business managers at six daily newspapers. As General Counsel of the Authors Guild, she taught book and freelance authors how to negotiate better contracts and advocated for their interests through strategic litigation and lobbying.
- Communications Law and Policy – Adjunct Associate Professor, Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (2015)
- Avoiding Copyright Infringement, Local Independent Online News (Lion) Publishers, (January 2022)
- Newsgathering Risks and Assessing Current Risks, UNESCO’s Investigative Journalists Training Program, (May 2021)
- Fair Use in Documentary Films, Sundance Film Festival Legal Clinic, (January 2021)
- The Writer’s Legal Guide: An Authors Guild Desk Reference 3rd ed. (Skyhorse Publishing, 2013), Lead Author
MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
- New York City Bar Association
- Copyright & Literary Property Committee
- Communications & Media Law Committee
- Media Law Resource Center
- Media Deals Committee
- Data Privacy Committee